Saturday, October 12, 2013

Bon soir! J'ai bu deux verres de vin blanc!

And that means I speak perfect French!  When I start spontaneously speaking in tongues, it's Italian if I'm sober and piss-poor French if I've had some wine.

Just now at the Gainsbourg Lounge, I had two stemless glasses of their really good house white, along with a little crock of wild mushroom chowder (Chanterelles locally harvested), a bit of baguette, and a pot de creme with strawberry preserves on it instead of the broiled sugar that would've made it brulee.  It was great, and Virginia the lovely waitress/bartender was very sweet to me.  I am a happy old girl.

That is a fun place.  They project black and white movies or videos onto the back wall, and those tend to be really weird.  Their music mix, presumably played from an iPod, encompasses thousands of songs, which range wildly from French bistro to rockabilly to what sounds ethereally like Brian Eno.  I haven't failed to enjoy trying to identify what I'm hearing.

J'aime beaucoup Gainsbourg.  Ah oui.

http://gainsbourglounge.com/

2 comments:

  1. nice to have a good variety of music! also,i didn't know creme brulee is broiled sugar...mmmm...sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think that's what it is anyway. Once at La Madeleine I watched Maria blowtorch the surfaces of the custards, and it looked like sugar turning into magic. :)

      Delete