This morning, wanting to be quick because I don't know when the maids are due to arrive today, I stopped short of Chocolati and ducked into Neptune, half a block closer. This morning walk, brief as it is, has become very important to me in the last couple of weeks. It's much more pleasant than driving down to the fancy Ballard Starbucks or over to the cheesy QFC Starbucks. It makes me feel very much part of the scenery here, and I mean that literally -- I have to stand on the very busy corner of 85th and Greenwood to wait for the Walk, highly aware of being visible in my ultra-chic support stockings and out-of-season culottes. But to hell with that, you know? I'm a neighborhood eccentric!
Neptune used to be grungy in a way I found unappetizing. It's right beside a Route 5 bus stop, and it always seemed busy enough, but the tables were old and tacky, and the general air wasn't attractive to me. The few times I went in, early on last fall, were when Sip & Ship, the late lamented, was closed on Sunday, and I never was happy there.
Today, though, I was lured in by their spiffy new decor, everything bright and white and truly chic: a iPad on the counter for the barista to use to ring up customers (I noticed he turned it to the woman after me, so she could punch in something or other), pretty square white plates for the cookies and such (like my very good ginger molasses cookie), and nifty tableware from Ikea. The music was a little ethereal for my taste, something in between ambient and dance but not enough of either.
Parenthetical thought: I like Brian Eno's "Music for Airports."
The coffee wasn't good. That's the bottom line, never mind decor and artsy music. My decaf Americano tasted muddy and grainy. One thing Chocolati does well is decaf espresso roast, so that their Americano is delicious. This wasn't delicious. I won't go back, but I wanted to try them out. Mission accomplished! Now to wait for the maids.
You're right: There sure isn't any point to going back to a place with bad coffee! Especially with SO many places to choose from out there!
ReplyDeleteYes, and the Green Bean is due to open right next door to me on the 19th! I've been waiting for them to finish the building and open up for over a year. They're moving in the furniture and gear right now. I hope their coffee is good!
DeleteBad coffee at a coffeehouse. How ...bad!
ReplyDeleteThis is more what I meant, V. Get yourself right into the blog, you're the most important part because without you, there would BE no blog.
Aw, thanks! Yes, this may be a good venue for me, though my inability to market myself (so to say!) is congenital. ;)
Delete