Monday, October 14, 2013

Foggy morning, sunny afternoon

It was a nuit blanche, so to say, last night -- I slept till around 2:30, maybe three hours total -- and that was that.  I got up at 6:00 and was ready to walk down a block and a half to Chocolati at 7:00.  I was the first customer, which pleased me because I like it quiet.  Such nice young people work in there.  The barista was cheerily listening to the Funk station at Pandora, so I got to boogie along with all manner of upbeat music, from the Bee Gees to Ray Charles to the Jackson Five.  OK, I didn't boogie with them.  Michael Jackson's piping child's voice has always made me want to tear out my hair.

It was a pleasant walk there, by the way.  I hadn't realized till I went out into the dark that it was foggy.  Fortunately, Greenwood is well lit so that I didn't have to worry about tripping and falling, always a hazard when one is of unsure footing.  Standing at the busy intersection at 85th made me a little nervous, but there was another woman standing there beside me, which meant no one was likely to speed around the corner and flatten us.

By the time I left, after having had an 8-oz. regular drip and a 12-oz. decaf Americano, it was lightening up a bit and clearer.  I came home and then later walked out to Bartell's Drugs' brand new store, immediately next to the old store, and to Fred Meyer.  Walking is helping my punk circulation, especially now that I wear support stockings.

In the afternoon, toward happy hour, I geared up and walked out again, in brilliant sunshine this time, to Gainsbourg Lounge, where I had a good salad (arugula, slices of cooked red and gold beets, a few bits of walnut, and some gorgonzola, plus vinaigrette) and a Gainsbourger.  Oh listen, the burger was incredible.  I hadn't had one in over fifteen years, and this was worth breaking that fast for:  a mix of beef and lamb, nicely cooked, with caramelized onions and aioli on a good bun.  I ate it very slowly.  Of course, I also had a second glass of house white to wash it down (red would've been more appropriate -- next time, Gadget!).  Duncan introduced himself to me with a handshake after I complimented the "bourger," and I left feeling very happy indeed.

In the elevator up to our floor, I was thinking about chocolate, sad that I had none.  I was speaking French to myself, as previously noted is common after un verre (ou deux verres) de vin ordinaire.  My son gallantly walked over to Walgreen's for Russell Stover chocolate Halloween pumpkins.  He's a prize.

Now to see if I am able to sleep tonight after all that!  Hope so.  Bonne nuit!

2 comments: